Sugaring adheres to the dead skin cells sitting on the surface of the skin, removing them with the hair to reveal a smoother surface.
What is Sugaring
Sugaring is a method of hair removal that uses a paste that consists of lemon, sugar, and water. Sugaring removes body hair by quickly pulling the hair from the root. Body sugaring has been found to be a practice that dates back to the time of the days of Cleoptra and the Pharaohs.
A natural approach to hair removal
Sugar hair removal is widely practiced in the Middle east and Asia. It's use as a form of hair removal continues to grow around the world. This growth can be contributed to the fact that more consumers are becoming more educated and aware of the positive and natural benefits of using natural botanical ingredients. It's simple ingredients list allows for avoidance of added ingredients such as dyes, resins, and preservatives. Clean up is easy with the paste being water soluble.
Sugar wax does not adhere to live skin cells. Additionally, the past is never applied hot, so there isn't a chance for the skin to be burnt. Another difference with sugar waxing is the direction in which the hair is removed.
How to prepare for your sugaring appointment
To make sure that your appointment runs smoothly, there are a few things you can do in preparation:
- Make sure your hair is at least ¼-inch long — above the size of grain of rice. If it isn’t, you won’t be able to get sugared and you’ll have to reschedule.If it’s on the longer side — 3/4 inch or more — you might consider trimming it shorter, though we can also do this when you arrive for your appointment.
- A few days before your appointment, lightly exfoliate with a buffing mitt or washcloth to get some dead skin cells out of the way. This will help prevent stray hairs from getting left behind.
- Avoid tanning or applying retinoid creams for at least 24 to 48 hours before your appointment.
- The day of, minimize your caffeine and alcohol intake to prevent your pores from tightening.
- Prior to the appointment, dress in loose, cotton clothing for maximum comfort.
- To minimize pain, take an over-the-counter pain reliever about 30 minutes before your appointment.
What to do after your appointment
There are a few things you can do at home to help prevent irritation after your appointment:
- If the sugared area is feeling tender, apply hydrocortisone cream or a cool compress. Take an over-the-counter pain reliever to reduce any swelling.
- If the sugaring was done on your genitals, try to avoid sexual activity for at least 24 hours so as not to rub or irritate the area.
- Avoid any activity that could cause sweating, such as working out, and soaking or swimming in water for at least 24 hours.
- Avoid direct sunlight, including tanning, for at least 24 hours.
- Don’t shave or otherwise remove stray hairs.
- Apply the soothing balm or one of our other exfoliating products to help reduce ingrowns and remedy hyperpigmentation [Visit Shop]
At Onyeka Tefari, we are take our client's safety very seriously. To this end we ensure that our practices is to prevent cross-contamination of any kind. All tools used are put through a thorough disinfection process. With Sugar hair removal, we use a single ball of sugar wax for your appointment. This eliminates the potential for double dipping since we use a new set of gloves to remove the ball of sugar wax for your appointment.
If you are interested in sugar hair removal, feel free to schedule your next appointment with us!
Swedish massage is what most people think of when someone mentions the word massage. In Sweden, this type of massage is called ‘Classic Massage’, which is an accurate name, given how well-known it is.
Manual Lymphatic Drainage
Manual Lymphatic Drainage massage is a form of soft-tissue mobilization dramatically enhances lymph formation and promotes drainage within the superficial and deep systems of the lymph vascular network.
The Synergistic Massage Integrates both Eastern & Western healing methods to restore the harmonious flow of life within. It combines the nurturing Western oil massage with the therapeutic benefits of Asian bodywork methods.