Back acne may be out of sight, but it definitely is not out of mind. By understanding the causes and utilizing the best ways to resolve it, you can achieve clear, healthy skin on your back.
Acne is a common skin condition that affects not only the face but also other areas of the body, including the back. Back acne, also known as bacne, can be just as persistent and embarrassing as facial acne. It can be difficult to treat and can cause significant emotional distress for those who suffer from it.
In this blog, we will discuss the causes of back acne, the best ways to treat it, and some preventive measures to avoid future breakouts.
What Causes Back Acne?
Back acne is caused by the same factors that cause facial acne, including hormonal changes, genetics, and overproduction of oil in the skin. Other contributing factors include:
- Poor hygiene - Neglecting to wash the back regularly can lead to a buildup of oil, dirt, and sweat, which can clog the pores and cause breakouts.
- Clothing - Tight clothing that does not allow the skin to breathe can trap sweat and oil on the skin, leading to breakouts.
- Hair care products - Shampoo, conditioner, and hair oils can transfer to the back, clogging the pores and causing breakouts.
- Excessive sweating - People who sweat excessively are more likely to develop back acne due to the moisture that can become trapped on the skin.
- Stress - Stress can increase hormone production and trigger acne breakouts on the back.
Best Ways to Treat Back Acne
Dealing with back acne can be challenging, but there are several effective treatment options available. The best way to treat back acne is to find a combination of treatments that work for you, including:
- Use a Salicylic Acid Wash: Salicylic acid is a type of beta-hydroxy acid that can penetrate the pores and help to unclog them. Using a salicylic acid wash can help to reduce the number of breakouts and prevent future ones from forming.
- Exfoliate Regularly: Exfoliating the back helps to remove dead skin cells and prevent the buildup of oil and dirt in the pores. You can use a gentle scrub or a brush with bristles to exfoliate the back.
- Apply a Spot Treatment: Spot treatments, such as Blemish Rx or M: Corrective, can help to reduce the size and redness of pimples.
- Schedule an Acne Back Facial:
- See a Dermatologist: If your back acne is severe or persistent, it may be best to see a dermatologist. A dermatologist can provide a personalized treatment plan that may include prescription medications, such as antibiotics or retinoids.
Preventive Measures to Avoid Future Breakouts
In addition to treating back acne, it's also important to take steps to prevent future breakouts. Preventive measures to avoid future breakouts include:
- Keep the Back Clean: Wash your back regularly with a gentle soap and water to remove oil, dirt, and sweat.
- Wear Loose-Fitting Clothing: Avoid wearing tight clothing that can trap sweat and oil on the skin. Choose loose-fitting clothing made from breathable fabrics, such as cotton.
- Avoid Touching the Back: Try to avoid touching your back as much as possible. Touching the back can transfer bacteria and oil to the skin, causing breakouts.
- Avoid Hair Products: Avoid using hair products that can transfer to the back, such as oils and gels. If you must use these products, make sure to wash your back thoroughly after applying them.
- Manage Stress: Stress can trigger acne breakouts on the back, so it's important to find ways to manage stress, such as practicing yoga, meditation, or exercise.
By incorporating these treatments and preventive measures into your routine, you can effectively manage and prevent back acne.
If you're looking for a more relaxing and pampering approach to managing back acne, consider scheduling an acne back facial at our spa in San Diego. Our acne back facial is specifically designed to target and treat back acne, using a combination of deep cleaning, exfoliating, and nourishing treatments. Our licensed esthetician will work with you to determine the best course of treatment for your skin and help you achieve clearer, healthier skin on your back.
In addition to acne back facials, we also offers a wide range of skincare products specifically designed to treat acne. These products are made with high-quality, natural ingredients that are gentle on the skin, yet effective at combating breakouts. Whether you're looking for a Blemish Control Cleanser, or an all-natural spot treatment, you'll find it in our online shop.
Visit Onyeka Tefari Wellness & Spa in San Diego today and take the first step towards clearer, healthier skin on your back. With the right combination of treatments and products, you can effectively manage and prevent back acne, leaving you feeling confident and refreshed.
One on One
Skin Analysis & Consultation
The first step to determining what your skin care regimen should be is knowing the current state of your skin, and having a discussion about what you would like your skin to look like. At Onyeka Tefari, the Skin Analysis and Consultation as a service provides you with a deep cleanse, and a thorough analysis of your skin.
Is your back due for some much needed attention? Whether you are in need of some much needed exfoliation, a back polish, or have back acne/acne scarring, our signature back facial is exactly what you are looking for.
This is a deep cleansing and refining facial specifically designed for congested, oily, and problematic skin. Onyeka Tefari’s clarifying facial is gentle yet deep cleaning that works to heal and restore skin due to breakouts or congestion.